Colorado State University

Academic Advising

The College of Natural Sciences offers students the chance to meet with an academic adviser to plan the coursework necessary to graduate from Colorado State.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my adviser and how can I get in touch with her/him?

If you are working toward a major or minor in a specific department, you should contact that department for advising.

Major Undergraduate Graduate Location Phone Number
Biochemistry Aaron Sholders, Brian Kalet Chaoping Chen MRB111 491-5602(UG)
491-3353 (G)
Biology/Zoology Liz Menter, Lilly Dethier, Liz Hysen Dorothy Ramirez 111 Biology 491-7011
Chemistry Carlos Olivio Alan Kennan C109 Chem 491-0722
Computer Science & Applied Computing Technology Albert LionelleDebbie Bartlett, James Peterson All Faculty 274 CS 491-5792
Mathematics Roberto Munoz-Alicea Jennifer Mueller 126 Weber 491-4288(UG)
Natural Sciences Courtney Butler N/A B301 491-7716
Physics Martin Gelfand Stephen Lundeen 124 Eng 491-5263 (UG)
491-6647 (G)
Pre-Vet Ann Bowen N/A CASA 491-7095
Psychology Cassidy McLarenSam Sickbert. Kelli Gupton All Faculty 201 BHSCI 491-3799
Statistics Ben Prytherch Jay Breidt 101 Stat 491-5269
Pre-Health/Life Sciences Linda Stoddard, Shelle McLean N/A TILT 491-7095


If you are enrolled as Undeclared – Health, Life or Food Science Interest, you should contact the Center for Advising and Student Achievement for advising.

Center for Advising and Student Achievement
801 Oval Drive, 121 TILT
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1032
(970) 491-7095

Although students interested in the health professions (e.g. medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, chiropractic, nursing, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy) pursue regular academic majors and have their academic advisor in those majors, health professions advising provides services that specifically address issues of interest to this group of students. For health professions advising, please contact:

Health Professions Advisors
(970) 491-7095


When should I meet with my adviser?

Many students benefit from advising sessions every semester while others prefer to meet only every two or three semesters. In general, you should meet with your adviser anytime you have questions about your academic progress or if you are having problems with a class. Your adviser can also help connect you with career resources.

I will graduate soon, what do I need to do?

You should declare with the Degree Office your intention to graduate in a given semester.

You will need to complete a Graduation Contract with your academic adviser. If you are completing a minor, you will need to complete a Graduation Contract with an adviser in that department.

You can participate in the Commencement Ceremony even if you have not completed all the requirements for graduation. Your name, however, will not appear in the program.

For more information, please visit the Commencement Page.